If you were injured in a car accident and have suffered injuries because of someone’s negligent driving, you may have a solid personal injury claim. The compensation can cover things like your medical bills, long-term treatment, loss of wages, and other sufferings. However, it is important to take the right steps following the accident, among which hiring a Boca Raton personal injury lawyer is one. Here’s what you need to do after a car accident:
- Get medical help. In case your injuries are severe or you are in considerable pain, the first step should be about seeking medical assistance. Florida requires drivers to have Personal Injury Protection (PIP), but to avail the benefits of the same, you are required to see a doctor and seek treatment within 14 days from the date of the accident.
- Call the police. You have to call the police right after the accident, no matter the extent of damage or your injuries. The police will document the accident and a proper report will be created.
- Take pictures and talk to witnesses, if you can. If you are in a position to seek information from witnesses and take pictures of the car and accident scene, always consider that as a priority. This comes in handy for your claim in the long run.
- Call a personal injury lawyer. There are many known law firms in Boca Raton, who have personal injury lawyers working on such claims and accident lawsuits. Consult a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible, so that you can understand the true worth of your claim.
- Find the course of action. The insurance company may be quick to make an offer if they find you were injured because of no fault, but don’t accept the same right away. Let your personal injury lawyer know of the situation, talk to them in depth, and let them handle everything on your behalf.
Are personal injury lawyers expensive in Boca Raton?
Most personal injury lawyers work on a contingency basis, which means they will charge a part of the compensation, if they can get a settlement for you. Ensure that you check the cost of pursuing the claim and lawyer’s fee in advance, so that the whole fight for getting fair compensation is worth it.
Don’t forget to talk to your attorney about the case in depth and in a transparent manner, even if you have part fault in the accident.